Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy

We went to the pediatrician for a weight and oxygen check. Ava has gained 7 ounces!! She weighed 7 pounds, 13 ounces. I knew she would gain because she's been eating so much more efficiently, averaging 3 ounces per feeding. I also moved her to a faster flow nipple yesterday which thrills me because it means she can get more in before getting tired and that her oral motor skills are progressing.  

Her oxygen saturation levels were just barely within normal limits. The nurse tried several times and with her in different positions to get the reading within normal limits. I'll have to ask the cardiologist whether that is okay. 

We go to UAB to see cardiology on Friday. I'm assuming this appointment will be uneventful since she appears to be doing so well. I plan on asking him if daycare is even an option before surgery. Prayers are appreciated in the area of my future career plans. Will I be out the rest of the school year? What about next year? Is it the Lord's will for me to stay at home long term? Time will tell.

Ava has found her voice! She expresses her displeasure more often now, as shown below. I can see the strain on her heart and lungs when she cries hard. She turns purple, starts coughing, and then gets lethargic. I feel like that's a foreshadowing of what we'll see when she goes into heart failure. She's still cute, even when she's screaming.



This past Saturday, we celebrated my precious niece, Laney's, second birthday. Jack did not sit on the side of the table with all the girls, but he did wear the pink Minnie Mouse ears. Small price to pay for cupcakes, ice cream, and a playground. He's looking at the computer screen right now saying, "Dat Nana!" That's my mom on the right and my sister-in-law's grandmother on the left. We love Elisabeth's Maw Maw like our own! 

His pained expression is because he wants a cupcake

The Saturday before, we went to a birthday party for Anna Liya and Scarlett. Minnie Mouse made an appearance, which was interesting. Mickie came to Jack's daycare recently and he FLIPPED OUT! I told him that Mickey would not be at this party, but lo and behold, we pull up and I see huge ears in the car in front of us. This time I was able to prepare him for her coming and he actually got within ten feet without screaming. There were no hugs, though. 

That mouse is HUGE

More pics


Jack was pretty sick last week with an ear infection and cold. It hit him overnight and he woke up feeling terrible. We went to the doctor and got an antibiotic and an inhaler for breathing treatments. When the nurse mentioned breathing treatments every few hours (even during the night), I said, "I have a newborn." I guess I thought she'd say, "Oh, ok...I'll just wave my magic wand and he'll be healed." I quickly followed up with, "But of course I'll do whatever I need to do for him." That exchange represents motherhood, doesn't it? No, I can't handle all that...oh yes, I can because I have to.

Fell asleep after eating...sick boy

He did not appreciate the breathing treatments

I'm feeling better. I think I'll grill some burgers.

Thankful that Ava did not catch his cold

Sleeping in her big crib

Sunday is Sanctity of Life Sunday at our church. Sharon from Wiregrass Hope will be speaking. I am thankful for a church family who celebrates and values ALL life. It is a sad reality that millions of unborn babies are being aborted in our country. Around 90% of mothers who receive a prenatal diagnosis of Down Syndrome choose to abort. I encourage you to support pro-life organizations like Wiregrass Hope Group. They are fighting for unborn babies and their mothers. 

'Till next time,
Krystal

1 comment:

  1. Well no wonder you haven't posted in awhile; you've been out partying all this time. *laugh* Poor little Jack, and poor mom. So sorry he was sick. That stuff always seems to happen all at once, doesn't it?

    Sending you a big hug, and a reminder that your students and fellow faculty members miss you (in case you forgot ;o) I thought about you when I brought the baby bottle home from church Sunday for Wiregrass Hope's annual Baby Bottle Boomerang. Will say a prayer for Friday!

    ReplyDelete